Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Finally an update!

Wow. I haven't blogged in ages! Here's a re-cap of the past week and a half.

Tuesday, Sept. 13 - I got my hair cut! I love it. I don't have a decent picture of it yet though. I went to Cost Cutters to get it done. Not bad for $10.95 (I had a $2 off coupon) + tip. The last time I had my hair cut was probably a year ago. I was so tired of it and I just had DH chop off the ends. The uneven ends was never noticeable cause I always had my hair up. But with this new haircut, my hair feels sooo much lighter and it's much easier to deal with. I was worried that the stylist may have gone a bit crazy with the razor, but it turned out really good I think.

That afternoon, I had a job interview for a dot com. I left early for the interview. The place was right in the middle of downtown and I had no idea where I was going so I made sure I had plenty of time to spare just in case I got lost. The good news was that I didn't get lost. The bad news was that I didn't know that I had to 1. look for parking and 2. pay for parking. I almost always never carry cash with me. Thank goodness I had some quarters in my purse. So I paid for an hour's worth of parking and went off to the interview. The interview went well. I was excited that it had potential to move to marketing. The guy told me that the job would be 32 hours/week initially and then become 40 hours/week after 2 months. Okay, I can deal with that. If the job was right, I can deal with that. So they said that they would get in touch with me and I left.

Thursday, Sept. 15 - I received a job offer from the dot com. It was nothing like what was discussed in the interview. They offered $xx/year, which sounded really good for a 40 hour week. BUT they wanted me to work 50 hours/week for the first 3 months. Yikes! 10 hour work day, plus 30-45 minutes drive each day... that's way too much. I emailed them with a list of questions/clarifications. I wanted to make sure that I would go back to a normal 40 hour week after the 3 months. I also wanted them to know that I was leaving the next day for vacation. So I waited and waited and waited. No reply.

While waiting for a reply, I started packing up everything we needed for our mini-vacation at Thousand Islands, NY. This was my 3rd trip to the Islands and I was very excited. We left right after dinner and got to the cottage at around 9:30pm.

Friday, Sept. 16 - There are 4 messages on my cellphone from 3 days ago! Ack!!! I never heard the phone ring and the "you have a new message" thingy didn't show up on the screen. Shoot! I got calls from people wanting me to come in for an interview as well as a call from the dot com. So I call the dot com first and get the voice mail. I left a message apologizing for not getting back to them sooner, etc. Then I made appointments with the other companies for interviews on Monday.

We didn't get a chance to go fishing on Friday. We ended up sleeping in and Grandpa and B ended up leaving without us. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Saturday, Sept. 17 - We went fishing in the morning and DH caught a big pike and 2 basses. B and Grandpa caught a bass each and I caught 2 perches. How sad. They let me take a picture of all the fish I didn't catch.

That afternoon, we went fishing again and DH caught 2 more fish and B caught 1 more. Grandpa didn't catch anything and neither did I. Oh well. I'll try again next year.

Monday, Sept. 19 - I was busy with 3 interviews. I liked that all three were within 15 minutes driving distance from home. Job #1 sucked! The guy who interviewed me was a jerk. Moving on... Job #2 was very interesting. It's 40% admin asst 60% marketing asst. Its a small, family owned business that's been around since the early 80s. Good pay, good benefits, nice part of town, don't have to pay for parking, 10 min away from home. Job #3 is for a very unique industry. Very unique and very interesting. The job was going to be 50% personal asst 50% marketing asst. There was a relaxed atmosphere in their office and that was the first thing I noticed. I also noticed that there were a lot of young people in this company. I know that having people my age at a job is important. When I got back home from interview #3, I got a call from them saying that they wanted me to come back for a 2nd interview.

Fast forward to today:

The 2nd interview went well. I'm now leaning more towards job#3 now that I know more about the benefits that they offer. Job #2 was going to pay very well, have health and dental, 401K and good vacation. Job #2 though might get lonely as it is a very small company with most of the people working in the field. So if job #3 gives a good offer, I think I will accept.

I still haven't heard from the dot com. Whatever. I'm not worried about it anymore.


Stitchingwise, I've been working diligently on Church Window. I even got to stitch some on Saturday night at the Islands. Here is a progress pic after 5 weeks.

I'm very happy with the progress. I think I have a shot at finishing it at the end of the month. At least I'm hoping. I still have the sky to do.

I got my copy of Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornaments issue last night. I like a lot of the designs in the magazine. I wonder when I'll be able to stitch any of them?

No comments: